Trip Reports

Oct 21, 2017 - Liberty Trail

Oct 14, 2017 - Chinaman's Gulch Night Run

Oct 1 2017 - Fall colors run

Sept 23, 2017 - Eagle Rock Night Run

Sept 2 2017 - Labor Day Weekend in Buena Vista

Aug 19 2017 - Blanca Peak

July 15 2017 - Veterans Home Show & Shine

June 3 2017 - Eagle Rock Scouting trip

May 19 2017 - Moab, day 4

May 18 2017 - Moab, day 3

May 17 2017 - Moab, day 2

May 16 2017 - Moab, day 1

May 6-2017 - Hackett Gulch

April 9 2017 - Chinaman's Gulch

Feb 25-2017 - Hackett Gulch

Dec 18, 2016 - Christmas Party 2016

Oct 12-15 2016 - Chile Challenge

Sept 10 2016 - Spring Creek

Sept 1-4 2016 - Dakota Territory Challenge 2016

July 2 2016 - Veteran's Home Show-n-Shine

June 18 2016 - Eagle Rock Work Trip

June 4 2016 - Eagle Rock Scouting trip

May 13 2016 - Moab: Top of The World , Day 4

May 12 2016 - Moab: Strike Ravine & Area BFE , Day 3

May 11 2016 - Moab: Metal Masher , Day 2

May 10 2016 - Moab: The Pickle , Day 1

May 10 2016 - Moab: Seven Mile Rim , Day 1

April 9 2016 - Chinaman's Gulch

Oct 25 2015 - Chinamans Gulch

Sept 23-26 2015 - Moab

Sept 4 2015 - Dakota Territory Challenge

August 22 2015 - Blanca Peak

Aug 8 2015 - Red Cone

July 25, 2015 - Holy Cross

June 28, 2015 - Eagle Rock Trail Cleanup

June 20 2015 - Twin Cone

June 13, 2015 - Metberry Bulch

May 16 2015 - Carnage BV

May 2, 2015 - Liberty

June 28, 2014 - Twin Cone

June 21, 2014 - Work Trip-Eagle Rock/Reynolds Wrap

May 17, 2014 - Rainbow Falls

May 4, 2014 - Independence Trails

April 27, 2014 - Chinaman Gulch

Trip Reports

Twin Cone
Date: June 20 2015
Trip Leader: Sue
Members Present: Sue,John and Lara Milton, Fred, Rachel, and Dylan Haskell, Paul Beaudean
Guests Present: Larry and Patty Osgood
Picture Link: Lara's photos              
Description: This is a tale of an expedition to Twin Cone Peak. It happened in the 20's of June on an early Saturday morning. We met in the huge field of Safeway. I recognized all of the people there except for one couple. I went over and introduced myself and they said that they are Larry and Patty Osgood. They were driving their orange 2012 JKRU. They had read about our club/trip on our website and decided to join us. Other members present were Fred, Rackel, and Dylan Haskell in their silver/blue 2007 JK. John and Lara Milton were there with their 2011 shiny black JK. Paul Beaudean was there with his muscular 1980 Toyota being pulled by his truck on a trailer. I was leading the trip in my impressive khaki 2004 TJ. We set off on Highway 24 at 8:20 A.M. We reached Wilkerson Pass in good time, but passed the facilities because the drawbridge was closed. Traveling on, we reached Hartsel and made the right turn onto Highway 9. We stopped at the gas station outside of Fairplay to stock up on snacks, rest and carry on. We travelled on Highway 285 a number of miles until we slowly started going up the hill towards Kenosha Pass. At that point there were 3 or 4 cars in front of us behind a gasoline truck with its flashing lights on. The truck was going very slowly as we started going up the grade. Suddenly, I saw a movement in the oncoming lane. It was a deer that crossed the lane and then started running parallel to the truck on the double yellow line. We all slowed instantly. The deer ran alongside the truck, as we held our collective breath. Then, suddenly, it crossed over in front of the truck, reaching the outside edge of the lane before being hit by the moving truck. It raced down a slight embankment to jump over a barbed wire fence. One or more legs became entangled in the wire causing it to fall on the other side of the fence. The deer struggled until it disengaged its legs from the fence and, a bit unsteadily, ran off up the hillside. Cheers came from the cars and the truck driver as the deer escaped a certain death. We continued on up to Kenosha Pass and turned right onto County Road 126. Paul was able to find room to park his truck and trailer and to unload his four wheeling vehicle. The rest of us parked and aired down our tires. Then we lined up and took off up the trail. There was one gate which had to be opened and closed by people using this trail. I opened the gate and Dylan closed it. Fred was tailgate because he had his CB to keep in touch with me at the front. For a while the trail was more of a dirt road passing by numerous camping sites. Then the camp sites cleared out and the road became a trail with many hairpin turns. Slowly the trees began clearing out. Just as we were wondering where the obstacles were located, we came upon them in the form of huge boulders set inside a muddy stream bed. I would stop and hike back to those behind me only to find that Paul and Fred were dishing out instructions to those a little less experienced. We continued on up only to encounter two huge, monstrous, steep hills littered with numerous boulders. There appeared to be no easy way up either one of the hills. Happily, we all made it up one way or another and set about climbing to the top of the mountain. Twin Cone Peak rests at 12,300 feet in elevation. The wind always blows up there. On this date, however, the wind was warmer and did not chill us to our bones. We stayed and enjoyed the views while Gunner ran and stretched his legs. Larry pointed out Red Cone and Webster Pass across the vast open space between us and them. There were two gorgeous Bernese Mountain Dogs there with their hiking parents. Very well behaved, both dogs and parents. Then it was time to head back done for a late lunch. We went back to the base of the steep hills and gathered around a big old pine tree at about 1:00 P.M. Lunch was a pleasant stop with us all getting to know each other better. The group voted to go back via the Tarryall Reservoir road. Paul suggested stopping for dinner at McGinty's in Divide for dinner and all agreed. We headed back down and stopped on the way at the overlook. We arrived at our staging area and all aired up and prepared for the rest of the trip. The road between Jefferson and Highway 24 was beautiful, smooth and peaceful. Notable was the huge amount of water in the streams and overflowing into the fields all around. A peaceful drive was enjoyed by all. Soon we arrived at McGinty's for dinner. It turned out to be a very successful trip with no mechanical problems, great boulder crawling, and a great bunch of people. Dinner was wonderful, beverages were great, and the service excellent. While we were eating, Lara received a text message from their son. It said, "Help." They were unable to reach him, but said he had gone up to Eleven Mile Reservoir with his girlfriend and her parents. They finally did reach him as we were leaving, but he said all was okay and he would see them at home. I did not learn until the next day that they heard from him much later on that he was stuck and could they come and get him? So, at 10:00 P.M. that evening they were headed back up to Eleven Mile Reservoir to fetch their son and his Jeep out of a muddy, sticky, wet stream bed in the dark! How is that for devoted parenting!!! My thanks to all of you who went on this trail with me. You are a great bunch of people and I would be glad to go wheeling with you anywhere. Sue