Trip Reports

Oct 21, 2017 - Liberty Trail

Oct 14, 2017 - Chinaman's Gulch Night Run

Oct 1 2017 - Fall colors run

Sept 23, 2017 - Eagle Rock Night Run

Sept 2 2017 - Labor Day Weekend in Buena Vista

Aug 19 2017 - Blanca Peak

July 15 2017 - Veterans Home Show & Shine

June 3 2017 - Eagle Rock Scouting trip

May 19 2017 - Moab, day 4

May 18 2017 - Moab, day 3

May 17 2017 - Moab, day 2

May 16 2017 - Moab, day 1

May 6-2017 - Hackett Gulch

April 9 2017 - Chinaman's Gulch

Feb 25-2017 - Hackett Gulch

Dec 18, 2016 - Christmas Party 2016

Oct 12-15 2016 - Chile Challenge

Sept 10 2016 - Spring Creek

Sept 1-4 2016 - Dakota Territory Challenge 2016

July 2 2016 - Veteran's Home Show-n-Shine

June 18 2016 - Eagle Rock Work Trip

June 4 2016 - Eagle Rock Scouting trip

May 13 2016 - Moab: Top of The World , Day 4

May 12 2016 - Moab: Strike Ravine & Area BFE , Day 3

May 11 2016 - Moab: Metal Masher , Day 2

May 10 2016 - Moab: The Pickle , Day 1

May 10 2016 - Moab: Seven Mile Rim , Day 1

April 9 2016 - Chinaman's Gulch

Oct 25 2015 - Chinamans Gulch

Sept 23-26 2015 - Moab

Sept 4 2015 - Dakota Territory Challenge

August 22 2015 - Blanca Peak

Aug 8 2015 - Red Cone

July 25, 2015 - Holy Cross

June 28, 2015 - Eagle Rock Trail Cleanup

June 20 2015 - Twin Cone

June 13, 2015 - Metberry Bulch

May 16 2015 - Carnage BV

May 2, 2015 - Liberty

June 28, 2014 - Twin Cone

June 21, 2014 - Work Trip-Eagle Rock/Reynolds Wrap

May 17, 2014 - Rainbow Falls

May 4, 2014 - Independence Trails

April 27, 2014 - Chinaman Gulch

Trip Reports

Holy Cross
Date: July 25, 2015
Trip Leader: Mike Borum
Members Present: Sue, Marilyn, Dave, Alex, Bob, Russ
Guests Present:
Picture Link: Mike's photos  Russ's photos            
Description: It took me and Marilyn nearly two weeks to get our camper, jeep, car hauler, dogs, and truck all ready to go. But Thursday morning we were ready and made it to Red Rocks at 7:25AM. At the Safeway we bought a few bundles of wood and then headed for Leadville and points beyond. Less than 4 hours later and some concern when our usual spots were full up, we luckily found ourselves a nice little spot with lots of trees and room for rigs and trailers and tents, near the stream, near the toilets, and near the Holy Cross trailhead. Sue showed up first, and while we helped her with her complicated tent, Bob and Dave arrived. We settled in around the campfire, making bets about when the rest of the crew might show. It was a beautiful, clear evening and the campfire was roaring. All of us hit the sack about the same time, and Russ pulled in just after 10:30PM. But where’s Alex?? The next morning, here comes Alex. Without cell service, we didn’t realize all of the travails he went through the night before just to show up. But he made it and we were finally ready to roll at 9:30. The morning was cloudy, but the temp was very comfortable. We hit the trail, meandering through the groves of aspen, spruce and pine as we climbed above 11000. First up: Mike’s Rock. If you don’t know, our club has actually named it for me! In 2009, I slid off this slab backward, slamming my gas tank skid on a rock and literally shattered the fuel pump inside it. Needless to say, it was humbling to be yanked back to camp by Jim’s rig that day. Marilyn and I packed up the camping gear we’d just set up the night before and went home with our tail between our legs that year. We bought the truck camper later that summer. Anyway, I digress. Mike’s Rock was a bugger for my rig. I wanted to take the right-most line, but with Marilyn and the dogs in the Jeep, I opted for a more conservative approach. Unfortunately, a lot of tries and some judicious road paving while too near a beaten up tree was required to get my Jeep up unscathed. Bob gave it the best he could, but in the end the greasy, muddy, wet rocks won out, and he was forced to call for the winch monkeys. Sue, Russ, and Alex took the far right line and had a much easier time getting up. When I told Marilyn why I’d taken a different line, she said, “Next time, do what’s right Mike, even if I beat the living crap out of you afterwards.” Actually she didn’t say that, but that’s what I heard! During this wonderful time, a group of hikers carry shovels and pails and lumber happened upon us. We learned they were students at Colorado Mountain College and were doing some volunteer work on Holy Cross City where we were hoping to make it. We offered to haul their stuff up, at least as far as we thought we might make it. Frenchman Creek was hard on our minds with all of the recent rains. The hikers were fine with however far we managed to get, so we moved on ahead with their gear while they hiked the trail without the load to slow them down. The waterfall ledge was next up, and again, the wet rock wasn’t letting my tires hook up. Or maybe I had too much air in them? Or maybe they’re worn out and a piece of crap? Anyway, I digress. Everyone except Russ went around the bypass, but he refused to give up and finally got that red Cherokee to claw its way up and over! Good for him. He didn’t have crappy, worn out tires with too much air in them like I did. I mean, it’s just “common sense” that new tires with bead lock rims are what’s required in most situations like this. I did check the air pressure in my crappy, worn out tires, and they were 3 lbs. more than when I left the campsite that morning. So common sense tells me they really are crappy tires…they swell up on you just when you don’t want them to. When we made Frenchman Creek, there was a group of 5 rigs just getting started across. One of the students quickly recognized that this could be a long day watching these guys try to get across. So she convinced them to let our group go ahead of them. That was a great thing. I entered the water, which was a bit higher than 2013, the year I dropped my passenger tire into the creek—that’s another story that I shall not digress to tell in this report. Suffice it to say, the club could name it “Mike’s Creek”, and that would be appropriate. Well, I picked my line carefully, kept moving forward, and miraculously made it across without stopping or backing up. More miraculous was when Bob, Sue, Russ, and Alex took the exact same line with the same result. It was without a doubt the first time in recorded history that every rig in our club kicked that creek’s a$$ in 10 minutes or less. AMAZING! The rest of the trail was uneventful, and we reached Holy Cross City and dropped our load for the student hikers about the same time they arrived by foot. We took a leisurely lunch, explored the area and then packed up and drove up to Cleveland Rock(s) to see whether we might be able to make it. Russ was the only wheeler with “good tires” and “poor judgment” to give it a go. But every line he tried—and I’m here to tell you he tried every line there is—the effort was wasted. Too much water and mud to be successful this day. The clouds were starting to open up by now, so we turned around and headed back to the campsite and some much needed lubrication. At Holy Cross City, the group we passed at Frenchman Creek had just arrived (almost two hours later my our estimate). Which made our 10-minute jaunt through it even more AMAZING! At camp, the evening was spent dodging raindrops while stoking the fire, passing around several different types of lubricant, convincing Sue she needs a TF999 automatic transmission with a reverse manual valve body, convincing me that bead locks are the best and my tires really are crappy, and solving the world’s problems. The following morning, Alex and Russ muttered something about how much lubricant they’d used last night, and packed up and left. Okay, maybe that’s not what they said, but it’s what I heard. Bob, Dave, Marilyn, Sue and I spent a leisurely couple of hours after breakfast to pack up the campsite and load the rigs. While we were puttering around, we noticed a family of moose—mother, child, and dad—meandering along the creek right behind us! Romeo and Doogie took off toward them until they realized how big and majestic these animals were. The dogs stopped in their tracks and watched as the moose slowly walked away. What a thrill that was! Eventually we loaded the gear and the rigs and then hoofed it over to Camp Hale. We left our trucks and trailers there and Bob and Dave led us on a fabulous trail ride up Resolution Mountain, down through Wearyman Creek, up over Ptarmigan Pass, and down McAlister Gulch. We stopped for lunch at an overlook of the continental divide and a wonderful view of Mt. of the Holy Cross, saw fields of wildflowers everywhere, and just generally enjoyed the day with no drama whatever. Finally we arrived back to our tow rigs, loaded everything back up and headed home with thoughts of an AMAZING! weekend in our heads. Mike